Are you looking for a NYC hospital that offers excellent care? If so, here are some tips on how you can find one that meets your health care needs:
When it’s an emergency, go to the nearest hospital or call 911. If you believe you’re having a life-threatening emergency, such as a heart attack, it’s important to get care as soon as possible. Call 911 or have someone take you to the closest hospital.
Talk with your doctor to see which hospitals they use. Ask your doctor:
- Which hospital will provide the best care for your situation, such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma, and other conditions.
- If you should go to a teaching hospital, such as New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, that offers the latest treatments and approaches to care. Teaching hospitals are often recognized as leaders in medical research and innovative health care that can help you be your healthiest.
- If you need a surgeon, can they recommend one who is experienced and successful in treating your condition.
Compare hospitals on the quality of care they provide. You can search online by using websites such as:
- Hospital Compare: Provided by medicare.gov, the official U.S. government website for Medicare. It offers information on the quality of care provided by hospitals. You can compare several hospitals and see how well they treat patients for conditions such as pneumonia, heart attacks, and heart failure.
- Quality Check: You can see a hospital’s accreditation status with the Joint Commission, an organization that accredits and certifies almost 21,000 health care organizations and programs in the U.S. The Joint Commission’s accreditation and certification of a hospital or other health care provider is recognized as the “gold seal of approval” for quality care.
- The Leapfrog Group: You can check a hospital’s safety grade from the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that helps consumers access hospital safety and quality of care data. You can see a hospital’s track record on how well patients were treated.
Check what your health insurance covers. Many insurance plans have a network of hospitals you should use to get the highest level of coverage. If you go “out of network,” you may end up with a large bill from the hospital.
Many insurance companies have websites that allow you to search by hospital name or location to see which facilities are in the network. If you’re on Medicare, find out if the hospital participates in Medicare or is in a Medicare Advantage plan’s network.
Looking for a NYC hospital?
Visit the Weill Cornell Hospital website to learn more about the types of care they offer in the New York City area.